- The NY Times exposed the predatory loan industry that surrounds NYC taxi drivers. In the wake of the expose, NY Attorney General Tish James opened an investigation of abusive lending by banks and credit unions who financed the taxi medallion bubble to the ruination of immigrant cabbies.
- A state appellate court struck down a law that prohibits farm workers from organizing and collectively bargaining with their employers.
- The Alliance for Rental Excellence in NY, real estate group representing landlord interests, has hired a lobbying firm started by Andrew Cuomo’s former campaign manager.
- Jumaane Williams wrote an op-ed for the Daily News arguing for expunging the records of those with marijuana charges, admitting that he himself sold the drug growing up.
- The NY Senate and Assembly held a second joint public hearing on Friday to address sexual harassment in the workplace, with the goal of passing legislation before the end of the current legislative session in June.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez endorsed Tiffany Cabán for Queens DA, which is AOC’s first local endorsement since taking office this year. Assembly Members Ron Kim (District 40, Flushing) and Yuh-Line Niou (District 65, Manhattan Chinatown), who are both prominent supporters of sex work decriminalization efforts in Albany, also endorsed Cabán, citing her decriminalization pledge.
- Margarita Lopéz Torres, a Brooklyn surrogate court judge supported by the fledgling Brooklyn Democratic machine, is facing a contested primary as she runs for another 14-year term.
- Some Bronx Democrats are trying to force homophobic Council Member Rubén Díaz, Sr. (District 18, Castle Hill) to resign or leave the party, but the Bronx Democratic Party machinery has largely been silent on the matter.
- Assembly Member Robert Carroll (D - Park Slope, Windsor Terrace) introduced legislation this week to lower the deadline for party enrollment change for all primary, special, and general elections.
Contribute to The Thorn
We welcome submissions of in-depth articles, comics and illustrations from anyone in DSA. Whether you want to write for us or just know of stories we should be covering, please get in touch.
Subscribe to The Thorn
The Thorn is a weekly update on what's happening in local New York politics from a socialist perspective. Please sign up with us to receive an email every Monday morning.