- Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a willingness to turn over New York’s DMV database to federal immigration authorities, but without the Social Security numbers, after the federal government froze the “trusted traveler” program for New Yorkers.
- The congestion pricing program may be delayed beyond its original start date of January 2021 pending a regulatory decision by the US Department of Transportation.
- The Staten Island DA’s office is compiling an internal list of police officers it will not call to testify, for fear their testimony cannot be trusted. This comes after a similar list in the Brooklyn DA’s office was released following a FOIL request.
- State Attorney General Letitia James is suing the City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission for inflating the price of medallions.
- Although the State’s ban on single-use plastic bags goes into effect March 1st, there is still some confusion among customers and retailers over how it will be implemented.
- The NYPD is investigating Ed Mullins, the police union boss who declared war on Mayor de Blasio.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announced a slate of Congressional endorsements, including NYC-DSA endorsee Samelys Lopez in the Bronx, along with the launch of her new PAC for progressive challengers.
- Boris Santos, who received the NYC-DSA endorsement for Assembly District 54, announced that he is suspending his campaign for personal reasons.
- Four candidates have announced they are running in the special election to fill Rafael Espinal’s seat on the City Council.
- Chirlane McCray, the First Lady of New York City, is launching mental health podcast in partnership with BRIC Arts Media, a Brooklyn nonprofit, leading to some speculation that she plans to run for Brooklyn Borough President in 2021.
- A bill to establish an online tool for voter registration is being held up in the State Assembly, and so may not go into effect in time for this year’s elections.
Contribute to The Thorn
We welcome submissions of in-depth articles, comics and illustrations from anyone in DSA. Whether you want to write for us or just know of stories we should be covering, please get in touch.
Subscribe to The Thorn
The Thorn is a weekly update on what's happening in local New York politics from a socialist perspective. Please sign up with us to receive an email every Monday morning.